- Hoogeveen, D., Gislason, M., Hussey, A., Western, S., & Williams, A. (2020). Gender Based Analysis Plus: A knowledge synthesis for the implementation and development of socially responsible impact assessment in Canada. https://ecohealthknowledgetoaction.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/gender-based-analysis-plus-a-knowledge-synthesis-for-the-implementation-and-development-of-socially-responsible-impact-assessment-in-canada.pdf
- Picketts, I. M., Dery, S. J., Parkes, M. W., Sharma, A. R., & Matthews, C. A. (2020). Scenarios of climate change and natural resource development: complexity and uncertainty in the Nechako Watershed. The Canadian Geographer, 64. https://doi.org/10.1111/cag.12609
- Parkes, M.W., Poland, B., Allison, S., Cole, D., Culbert, I., Gislason, MK., Hancock, T., Howard, C., Papadopoulos, A., & Waheed, F. (2020). Preparing for the future of public health: The ecological determinants of health and the call for an eco-social approach to public health education. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 111:60-64. https://doi.org/10.17269/s41997-019-00263-8
- Buse, CG., Poland, B., Haluza-Delay, R., & Wong, J. (2019). “We’re all brave pioneers on this road”: Climate change adaptation activities among public health units in Ontario, Canada. Critical Public Health, published online in advance of print version: https://doi.org/10.1080/09581596.2019.1682123
- McFarlane, R. A., Horwitz, P., Arabena, K., Capon, A., Jenkins, A., Jupiter, S., Negin, J., Parkes, M.W., & Saketa, S. (2019). Ecosystem services for human health in Oceania. Ecosystem Services, 39, Article 100976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2019.100976
- Parkes, M.W., Allison, S., Harder, H., Hoogeveen, D., Kutzner, D., Aalhus, M., Adams, E., Beck, L., Brisbois, B., Buse, C.G., Chaisson, A., Cole, D.C., Dolan, S., Faure, A., Fumerton, R., Gislason, M.K., … , & Vaillancourt, C. (2019). Addressing the environmental, community and health impacts of resource development: Challenges across scales, sectors and sites. Challenges, 10 (1), 22. https://doi.org/10.3390/challe10010022
- Howard, C., Buse, C., Rose, C., MacNeill, A., & Parkes, M. (2019). Lancet Countdown 2019 Report: Briefing for Canadian Policymakers. London UK: University College of London and the Lancet. https://storage.googleapis.com/lancet-countdown/2019/11/Lancet-Countdown_Policy-brief-for-Canada_FINAL.pdf
- Buse, CG., Sax, M., Nowak, N., Jackson, J., Fresco, T., Fyfe, T., & Halseth, G. (2019). Community impacts of unconventional natural gas across the supply chain: A scoping review. Extractive Industries and Society, 6(2), 620-629, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2019.03.002.
- Poland, B., Buse, CG., Antze, P., Haluza-Delay, R., Ling, C., Newman, L., Teelucksingh, C., Cohen, R., Hasdell, R., Hayes, K., Massot, S., & Zook, M. (2019). The emergence of the Transition Movement in Canada: Successes and impact through the eyes of initiative leadership. Local Environment, 24(3), 180-200, https://doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2018.1555579
- Brisbois, BW., Reschny, J., Fyfe, T., Harder, H., Parkes, MW., Allison, S., Buse, CG., Fumerton, R., & Oke, B. (2019). Mapping research on resource extraction and health: A scoping review. Extractive Industries and Society, 6(1): 250-259, https://10.1016/j.exis.2018.10.017.
- Buse, CG., Lai, V., Cornish, K., & Parkes, MW. (2019). Towards environmental health equity in health impact assessment: Innovations and opportunities. International Journal of Public Health,64(1): 15-26, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-018-1135-1.
- Gislason, M., Sloan Morgan, V., Mitchell-Foster, K., Parkes, MW. (2018). Voices from the landscape: Digital storytelling as counter-narrative and collective action for Northern BC watersheds. Health & Place. 54, 191-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2018.08.024
- Buse, CG. (2018). Why should Canadian public health agencies conduct climate change and health vulnerability assessments? Canadian Journal of Public Health, 109(5), 782-785, https://doi.org/17269/s41997-018-0118-6.
- Cole, D., Parkes, M., Saint-Charles, J., Gislason, M., McKellar, K., & Webb, J. (2018). Evolution of Capacity Strengthening: insights from the Canadian Community of Practice in Ecosystem Approaches to Health. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching & Learning Journal, 11(2), 1-21. https://www.kpu.ca/td/past-issues/11-2
- Buse, C., Oestreicher, J., Ellis, N., Partrick, R., Brisbois, B., Jenkins, A., McKellar, K., Kingsley, J., Gislason, M., Galway, L., McFarlane, R., Walker, J., Frumkin, H., & Parkes, M.W. (2018). A public health guide to field developments linking ecosystems, environments and health in the Anthropocene. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. 72, 420-425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2017-210082
- Oestreicher, JS., Buse, C., Brisbois, B., Patrick, R., Jenkins, A., Kingsley, J., Tevora, R., & Fatorelli, L. (2018). Where ecosystems, people and health meet: Academic traditions and emerging fields for research and practice. Sustainability in Debate,9(1), 45-65, http://periodicos.unb.br/index.php/sust/article/view/16698/14980
- Buse, CG., Smith, M., & Silva, D. (2018). Attending to scalar ethical issues in emerging approaches to environmental health research and practice. Monash Bioethics Review, 37(1-2):4 – 21 https://doi.org/10.1007/s40592-018-0080-3
- Brisbois, B.W., Bourgos Delgado, A., Barraza, D., Betancourt, O., Cole, D., Gislason, M., Mertens, F., Parkes, M.W. & Saint-Charles. J. (2017). Ecosystem approaches to health and knowledge-to-action: towards a political ecology of applied health-environment knowledge. Journal of Political Ecology. 24, 692-715. https://doi.org/10.2458/v24i1.20961
- de Leeuw, S., Parkes, M. W., Sloan Morgan, V., Christensen, J., Nicole, L., Mitchell Foster, K., & Russell Jozkow, J. (2017). Going Unscripted: A Call to Critically Engage Storytelling Methods and Methodologies in Geography and the Medical-Health Sciences. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien, 61(2), 152–164. https://doi.org/10.1111/cag.12337
- Parkes, M.W., Saint-Charles, J., Cole, D.C., Gislason, M., Hicks, E., Le Bourdais, C., McKellar, K.A., St-Cyr Bouchard, & Canadian Community of Practice in Ecosystem Approaches to Health Team. (2017). Strengthening collaborative capacity: Experiences from a short, intensive field course on ecosystems, health and society. Higher Education Research and Development. 36(5) 1031-1046. https://doi.org/10.1080/07294360.2016.1263937
- Picketts, I., Parkes, M.W., & Déry, S. J. (2016). Climate Change and Resource Development Impacts in Watersheds: Insights from the Nechako River Basin, Canada. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien. 61(2), 196–211. https://doi.org/10.1111/cag.12327
- Galway L., Parkes MW., Allen, D., & Takaro, T. (2016). Building interdisciplinary research capacity: a key challenge for ecological approaches in public health. AIMS Public Health, 3(2), 389-406. 10.3934/publichealth.2016.2.389
- Teelucksingh, C., Poland, B., Buse, CG., & Hasdell, R. (2016). Environmental justice in the ENGO landscape of Toronto. Canadian Geographer, 60(3), 381-393, https://doi.org/10.1111/cag.12278
- Buse, CG., Jackson, J., Nowak, N., Halseth, G., & Fyfe, T. (2016). A scoping review on the community impacts of unconventional natural gas development for northern BC: A closer look at policy, regulatory and governance strategies to maximize benefits and mitigate harms. Prince George, BC: University of Northern British Columbia. Available at: http://www.unbc.ca/sites/default/files/sections/cumulative-impacts/circknowledgesynthsis-ungpolicyandregulation.pdf
- Parkes, MW. (2016). Pacific connections for health, ecosystems and society: New approaches to the land-water-health nexus. Reviews on Environmental Health, 31(1), 125-130. http:/doi.org/doi:10.1515/reveh-2015-0067
Peer-reviewed Books and Book Chapters
- Poland, B., Parkes, M.W., Hancock, T., McKibbon, G., & Chircop, A. (2020). A Changing Role for Public Health in the Anthropocene: The Contribution of Scenario Thinking for Reimagining the Future. In S. Quilley & K. Zywert (Eds.), Health in the Anthropocene: Living Well on a Finite Planet. (Chapter 6). University of Toronto Press
- Soskolne, C. L., Bunch, M. J., Butler, C. D., & Parkes, M.W. (2018). Navigating complexity, promoting health: Insights from the emergence of ‘ecohealth’ and ‘one health’. In L. Westra, K. Bosselmann, J. Gray, & K. Gwiazdon (Eds.), Ecological Integrity, Law and Governance (Chapter 8). London and New York: Taylor and Francis Group.
- Gislason, M.K., Buse, C., Dolan, S., Parkes, M.W., Tosh, J., & Woollard, B. (2017). The complex impacts of intensive resource extraction on women, children, and Aboriginal peoples: Towards contextually-informed approaches to climate change and health. In MG. Cohen (Ed.), Climate Change and Gender in Rich Countries: Work, Public Policy and Action. (Part 5). Routledge: Earthscan.
- Buse, C. (2016). Are climate change adaptation policies a game changer? A case study using perspectives from public health officials in Ontario, Canada. In M. Bouzid (ed.) Examining the Role of Environmental Change on Emerging Infectious Diseases and Pandemics. Norwich: IGI Global, pp. 230-257.
- Parkes, M.W. & Horwitz, P. (2016). Ecology and Ecosystems as Foundational for Health. In Frumkin H (ed). Environmental Health: From Global to Local (3rd edition). Jossey-Bass. Link to book
- Galway, L.P., Parkes, M.W., Corbett, K.K., Allen, D.M., & Takaro, T. (2016). Climate change frames in public health and water resource management: Towards intersectoral climate change adaptation. In W. Leal Filho, H. Musa, G. Cavan, P. O’Hare, & J. Seixas (Eds.), Climate Change Adaptation, Resilience and Hazards. (Chapter 3). Springer International Publishing.
- Parkes, M.W. (2016). Cumulative Determinants of Health Impacts in Rural, Remote, and Resource-Dependent Communities. Chapter 5. in M.P. Gillingham, G.R. Halseth, C.J. Johnson, & M.W. Parkes (Eds.), The Integration Imperative: Cumulative Environmental, Community and Health Impacts of Multiple Natural Resrouce Developments (pp. 117-152). Springer International AG. Link to e-book
Presentations and other Outputs
- Parkes, M.W., Horwitz, P., Buse, C., Dolan, S., Gislason, M., & Woollard, R. (2018). Ecosystems as Foundational for Health. In: EkoSanté Training Manual in Ecosystem Approaches to Health. Produced for Pan-American Health Organisation.
- Allison, S., Harder, H., Parkes, M., Reschny, J., & the HIRED Project Team.(2016). Health Impacts of Resource Extraction & Development (HIRED): Knowledge Synthesis and policy insights. CPHA 2016. Toronto, ON. Link to the presentation
- Mitchell-Foster, K., & Gislason, M. K. (2016). Lived Reality and Local Relevance: Complexity and Immediacy of Experienced Cumulative Long-Term Impacts. Vignette 6.7, in Chapter 6. Exploring Cumulative Effects and Impacts Through Examples. In M. P. Gillingham, G. R. Halseth, C. J. Johnson, & M. W. Parkes (Eds.), The Integration Imperative: Cumulative Environmental, Community and Health Impacts of Multiple Natural Resource Developments (pp. 117–152). Springer International Publishing AG. Link to book
Recent publications are here, further information can be found on the About Us page under each individual team member’s profile.
Work related to Margot’s Canada Research Chair, 2009-2019, can be found on her UNBC Publications Page